Customer service has been the guiding principal for Cox Toyota since 1968.
The Cox family started in the car business in 1945 with the purchase of army surplus vehicles. Thus the used car business began. It was named Cox Brothers Used Cars–Craig Cox, Whit Cox, and Mack Cox. In the latter 50's, Volvo, Hillman, and Simca new car franchises were added. The latter two were victims of the EPA regulations of the early 60's. In 1968, TOYOTA came to Burlington to find a dealer. They inquired at the local banks for a used car dealer with sound financials and a good reputation. At every bank, Craig Cox was the name recommended. Craig Cox was named dealer on October 1, 1968.
In 1971, Mack Cox retired, Whit Cox retained Volvo, and Craig Cox formed a new company–Cox Toyota Inc with Craig Cox Sr., Don Cox, and Craig Cox Jr.. Craig Cox Sr went to Heaven in 1976. Craig Cox Jr sold his interest to Don Cox in 1982 to pursue other interests.
Having survived the economic crisis of 1982, the company started on a growth path with the slogan “Tailor Made Toyotas.” Customers from the Triad to the Triangle could get cars equipped to their specifications----only in Burlington–at Cox Toyota. Toyota buyers beat a path to our door. This was the beginning of a growth path that grew from 12 employees to over 65 employees and the move to this 50,000 square foot, state of the art facility.
Don Cox has served on the Dealer Council. He has been awarded the coveted Presidents Award eleven times with write ups in People magazine. This award recognizes dealers across the country for outstanding customer service and sound business practices. In addition, Cox Toyota has been active in various community affairs----Red Ribbon Week, Toys for Tots, and Loaves and Fishes.
We truly believe that TOYOTA is the World standard name plate, and Customer service is the foundation and only reason for our business.
Don L. Cox